Thursday, August 25, 2011

Getting Organized: Part 1. The Basement.

So this summer I have slowly been trying to organize the house a bit more.

First I started out in the basement. Our basement looked like this (I can't even believe I'm showing these pics to the world btw.  /shame)



Our basement was just mainly used as a dumping ground for everything baby, storage, junk, and the unused. Behind the chair there, is our spare bedroom.

So I spent a couple nights after Max went to bed and got all the toys/baby stuff organized and put together.



I didn't really take a good shot, since it was like at 2am when I finished.

I had Sam haul out the old gym equipment. I took a huge carload of stuff to the Goodwill. I have some more to do down there still. I got new wall mounted bookshelves that Sam needs to install (I've only been asking him to do it for 2 months now) and then I can finish decorating and sprucing this place up.

I've got some World/USA maps to hang up and some additional artwork. I can't decide if I want to paint the space or leave it creamy as is.  This space gets very little natural light, so if I did paint it, it'd need to be a light color. My goal for the space is 3 fold really: play room, school room, and family hangout.

So I'm trying to design the space with those three things in mind. I've been utilizing the web and Pinterest to find inspiration pics. Here's a few I like:






You see, the reason why I want to do a classroom is I'm very seriously thinking of homeschooling Maxwell.  Controversial I know. But I really am interested in it.

SO much so that I've been devoting crazy amounts of hours into planning a toddler pre-school curriculum for this year! I'm still gathering some materials and getting my lesson plans in order. I'm shooting for a couple hours a day/2-3 days a week starting probably in September.

I figure if I work on pre-school at home for the next couple years (or even just this year heh) I can see how I like things and see if I think I can do it. That way if it doesn't work out, we know well before kindergarten. There are a TON of home-schoolers in Maryland. Lots of co-ops and groups to work/partner with.

That topic aside, hopefully I can nail down the hubby to put up those shelves and I can semi-finalize the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...