Saturday, August 27, 2011

Kale Chips




In an effort to get Max (and lets face it, me too) to eat more green veggies, I thought I'd try out kale chips.

I had never tried kale before, I'd heard it was a 'bitter' green but that roasting them made them really yummy.

So I bought a big bunch at the grocery store. Rinse/dried them. I then ripped the leafy bits off the large stems and then ripped those leafy bits into bite size pieces. Make sure you discard the stems- you don't want them at all for this. Pulled out a big ol baking sheet and plopped the greens on it, drizzled with a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), a dash of pepper and some sea salt. Mixed that gently together and spread out the bunch evenly on the sheet pan.

Popped that sucker into a 300 degree oven for ~25 min (could go less or more depending on how large your batch is).  You want them to be slightly crispy when you take them out. If they're still sorta soggy, leave them in for a bit more.


Now, I would be remise if I didn't say that no one ever posts how BAD it smells for the first 15 min or so of the roasting process. It smells like a poopy diaper. No joke.

You are now forewarned. :)

I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies right after to 'freshen' the smell in the house. And plugged in the Scentsy.

That said, I don't have any pictures because they didn't last longer than 10 minutes. Dead serious here.

My toddler devoured them like a no ones business. My husband came home and walked in the kitchen, looked at the stove where they were cooling and said 'oooohhh, can I try?'

He then ate the whole batch in less than 5 min (minus a small amount I pried out of his hands kept apart saying it was 'for the baby').

'They're nummy and delectable" says my husband.

I can see why other folks say they make these a couple times a week. I'll be buying more kale at the grocery store this week for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...