Thursday, April 8, 2010

Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure run/walk

So some co-workers are doing the annual Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure run/walk. I've chosen to walk with Mr Man.  The ‘Race’ is a 3.1 mile run/walk that will take place on June 5, 2010 at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. 

A little about the walk:
Up to 75 percent of the Komen Global Race's net income stays in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area to fund local screening, treatment and education programs for the medically under-served. The remaining dollars support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Global Promise Fund, a program which is dedicated to reaching under-served people in areas where breast cancer mortality rates are the highest.

Every dollar makes a difference:
$100 could be used to provide one mammogram
$250 could be used to cover five clinical breast exams
$500 could be used to provide five diagnostic ultrasounds
$1000 could be used to provide 10 mammograms

I've set my personal goal at $125. So I need your help. You can give online at GlobalRacefortheCure.org or if you'd like to make a donation via my team you can go here. You can search via my name (Jennifer Michael) or our team (BRCAlators).

Our team name, BRCAlators, was conceived by a distinguished team member, Dr. Douglas Auld. BRCA (Breast Cancer gene 1 and 2). Mutations of the BRCA gene are one of many ways that make an individual more susceptible to develop breast cancer.

I've been out taking daily walks with Mr Man in his new stroller. As an aside, we got it a couple weeks back and so far I really like it. Very lightweight, easy to get into the trunk, should travel well on the plane and the thing I wanted most is that it reclines fully and if needed, will accept Mr Man's car-seat. I digress...


So that's what I'm gearing up for and hopefully it should be real fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...