Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WTB Sleep

So Mr Man has been on the same sleeping/eating schedule at night pretty much since he was about 2 months old. He'd go down for about 3-4 hours, then wake up and nurse about every 2-3 hours. This lasts for about 12 hours.  Since his bedtime is around 8PM, I'd go to bed around midnight or so. This means I get around 6ish hours sleep. I'm exhausted as I don't do well on that little sleep.

After talking with some family I decided to see if we could skip Mr Man's nighttime feedings and see if that will help him sleep through the night. I noticed over the last few months that at night, all the milk he nurses just goes right through him to a very heavy (like 5 lb) diaper. Doesn't seem like he's 'using' the milk for metabolism and growth like he does during the daytime. Don't yell at me over the science here. Basically what I'm trying to say is, he doesn't really 'need' the milk - its just quality mommy time that he wants.

So last night I decided to try this out. I put him down around 8pm.  He woke at 10 needing his pacifier, went back to sleep.  Woke ~1am, gave him his pacifier and rubbed his head like he loves. He barely even winced - just went right back to sleep.  He woke ~3am - I fed him here because I was pretty engorged at that point and was so tired I didn't want to go downstairs to pump.  He woke ~6 am. I changed his diaper - since I had fed him around 3.
When I did that, I noticed his little legs were chilly. I hadn't put him in a sleep sack last night as it was fairly warm upstairs in the room. However, before he went to bed (which was after me) Sam cranked up the A/C.  Poor little Mr Man was chilly and fussy from being cold.  So, I picked him up out of his bassinet (he co-sleeps in that next to the bed) and held him in my arms. I propped up a bunch of pillows behind me and went to sleep sitting up (like old times) with Mr Man sleeping soundly and as warm as a little bug snug in his rug.  We woke up around 8:45 and Mr Man had some mommy-moo breakfast. 

Not bad for the first night. He got 1 feeding and never really even fussed anymore w/o feedings than he would when I would nurse him. We'll see how it goes tonight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...