Sunday, May 2, 2010

When does the anxiety end? Does it end?

When I was pregnant with Mr. Man I was so anxious:
  Will I miscarry again?
   Is his heart beating?
   He's not moving like usual, is he okay? (followed by making Sam come and talk to my tummy to get Mr. Man moving again when I'd get to the totally freaked out stage)
   Is he kicking enough? When did he last move? He normally has moved by now...oh, whew, there it is.
   What are the chances of cord problems? Are you sure that's not going to be an issue doctor?
   My hips hurt so bad and he is so big- can I deliver this baby? Will I have to have a C-section?
   Will I have problems after I deliver him - with my hips?
   How will I deal with a tri-level house after a C-section and a newborn to take care of? (thanks again Mom/Lulu)

Now that Mr. Man is here I am still so anxous:
  Is he breathing?
  Is that sound normal?
  Should he be coughing? Does that mean he's sick?
  Is he getting enough to eat? (*laugh*)
  Is he breathing?
  Will he forgive me for clipping his finger when I tried to trim his nails the first time?
  Am I a bad mommy for letting him cry while I try and take a shower?
  Will he ever sleep through the night? (aka when will I sleep longer than 4 hours)
  Is he breathing?
  When does the SIDS fear end?
  How do people who make less than us raise more children than we do with less than we have?(kids are 'spensive)
   Am I getting enough photographs of him?
   Is he breathing?
 

I've always been a worrier. I can't help it. I worry all day, throughout the day and into the night.
I worry for myself and my family. I worry for friends. I worry for co-workers. I worry for strangers. I worry for those people who stand by the road begging for money - the ones who really truly need it. I worry for the people running our country. I worry for people who put their lives on the line every day at their jobs.  I worry for people in other homes/cities/states/countries. I worry for other children in the world. I worry for people who have lost their children/parents/siblings/friends. I worry for my enemies. I worry for friends lost. I weep when I see physically and mentally handicapped men/women/children- I worry for them so. I worry about decisions made, things said, things thought about. I worry about so many things I can't even imagine.
These are a lot of my worries, but don't fret, I'm not like compulsive or whatever. I just worry.
And then I pray. I pray for all of them. And then I pray for God. Yes to Him, but also for Him. He has more worries than I and I worry for Him.

Since bringing Mr. Man home from the hospital however I've definitely had to use my night-guard. My anxiety and worry is so great for him that I've chipped my teeth from clenching and wake with headaches all too often. I have to catch myself during the day clenching my teeth so hard. 

My biggest worry to date is: Is he breathing? I bet you couldn't tell that from my list there. heh.

Like today for instance. He took a really long nap- we're talking like 2+ hours of nap. It felt odd to me, he normally naps for only 40ish minutes. 60 minutes is a long nap for him. So at about at the 2 hour mark I had to run upstairs to watch him breathe. I'm so paranoid about his breathing - even though there has been nothing over the past 6 months to truly cause any sort of alarm.

I know the saying is that you never stop worrying about your children...but does it ever lessen a little bit?
Is this the typical "first time mom" syndrome still or just a mommy-hood trait?

When does the SIDS threat end? That's my big question for Mr. Man's pediatrician this month. When can I at least relax a little bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...